Nursing points when there is accidental ingestion

  • 1. In the following cases, do not make your child vomit the swallowed item.

    • (1) Infants under 6 months
    • (2) When there is a disturbance in consciousness or convulsions
    • (3) When there is severe heart disease or arrhythmia
    • (4) Corrosive substances such as strong acids and strong alkalis (→ Go to 5)
    • (5) Volatile petroleum such as kerosene and thinner
    • (6) Toxins such as strychnine and camphor that cause convulsions
  • 2. The following substances are fat-soluble, so do not give your child milk.

    • (1) Pesticide
    • (2) Rodenticide
    • (3) Insecticide
    • (4) Insect repellent
  • 3. If your child has the following serious symptoms, go to the hospital immediately.

    • (1) A disturbance in consciousness or convulsions
    • (2) Symptoms of poisoning even though a long time has passed.
    • (3) Vomited blood.
    • (4) Appears exhausted.
    • (5) Face is pale.
    • (6) Coughing violently and wheezing.
  • 4. Common treatments in case of accidental ingestion

    • (1) Check the skin and eyes for exposure to liquids. If there is, wash them under running water for at least 15 minutes.
    • (2) Stop having your child drink large amounts of water, unless it is a pretreatment to induce vomiting. It is counterproductive, as it would help to dissolve the poison and encourage absorption.
  • 5.Treatment for accidental ingestion of corrosive substances such as strong acids and strong alkalis

    • (1) Never make your child vomit.
    • (2) Make your child drink a lot of milk immediately.
    • (3) Be sure to go to the hospital for medical examination.

At your visit, let your doctor know

  • “What” did your child drink and “how much”?
  • Did your child vomit? If so, how many times?

    * In a container, store some of the vomit, and take it with you when you visit the hospital.

© 2022 Japan Pediatric Society